Last day on Lamey Island



Ringo is my hero. Nothing to do with music. I saw a YouTube video of his 83rd birthday party in Beverly Hills. He looks 50. The scuttlebutt is that he is a vegan and that that is the proximate cause of his youthful appearance. (Hair coloring looked like another factor to me.)


    I leave this island tomorrow morning, set for a long trip up the east coast of Taiwan. I have to get to Taipei which should be easy. There’s no high speed rail on that coast so I’ll need to resort to long bus rides along mountainous terrain. 

I skipped most of the tourist stops and set myself the task of trying out every accessible beach on Lamey. Most of the littoral here is rocky but there are a few places where you an gambol down to a patch of sand that gives you an opening to swim in the cool waters of the Pacific. I found four such places. 

Secret Beach

Beauty Beach: tricky coral outcroppings make it slightly hazardous to get to the open ocean, but a nice place. Rated B+

Venice Beach (yes, that’s the name): a wide expanse of sand but too much coral to make swimming free and easy. Rated C.

Zhongao Beach: right next to the ferry terminal area, the best pure beach on the island, a wide expanse of sand with minimal coral to impede a luxurious swim. The only bad part is there is no shade so you must endure intense sunlight to partake. (they did build a wooden structure up hill from the beach that offers shade). Grade A.

Secret Beach: my favorite of the lot but very small. Snorkelers use the narrow channel to swim out to interesting coral sites. Grade A-.




    I embarrassed myself at dinner this evening. I ordered a delicious shrimp stirfry meal and a bowl of soup. I didn’t realize that here in Taiwan soup is not a side dish but the main course. The bowl was huge. I’m sure the kids in the restaurant were bemused by my faux pas. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day in Taiwan

Sloth

Impressions of the capital city