Puerto Princesa to Taipei

 Blog 07-08-23 Tainan


Princesa City to Taipei


I hugged Roy, my caretaker at The Village House, and hopped on a tricycle for the quick trip to the airport. The weather was the same as it had been for three weeks, mid 80’s, humid, with occasional showers. This day the sun held on. I fumbled for my phone as I entered the terminal (no tickee no planey). I needn't have worried about time as the plane was delayed, ultimately, three hours. “We regret that Air Asia flight 267 will be delayed because the plane will arrive late.” 

The flight was uneventful and we landed at Manila Airport at 10pm. I could look forward to seven hours of waiting here before boarding my flight to Taipei. I noticed three connected, metallic seats unoccupied not far from the security check in that I’d need to traverse later in the morning. I lay my backpack across the seats and stretched out across the remaining open area, and tried to reat. I dared not sleep lest I miss my flight. I assumed the place would be quiet at this advanced hour. I was wrong. Manila is a hopping place at 2am, 3am, 4am…..at just about any hour. 

At 5;30 I made my way to security. The line was about ten minutes long to get to the passport check. When I got there the typically-unsmiling checker scowled at me. “You entered The Philippines on May 31?” he asked. I didn’t understand at first. The little window that served as our communications path blocked his heavily-accented English. He repeated the question as I craned my good ear, the right one, next to the aperture. “Yes,” I answered, wondering if he was going to congratulate me for spending so much of my vacation in his country. 

Nope.

It turned out I had exceeded my 30 day visa by a few hours. I must, he informed me, retrace my steps and go to the payment window about 50 feet behind me. I winced at the thought of re-entering the passport line. Woefully I trudged backwards and joined the line for payments, which was, thankfully, short. 

“Four hundred and forty pesos,” the lady intoned. I cleverly had drawn down my Filipino pesos fund so that I would be stuck with money I couldn’t spend. I had only three hundred and US dollars  were not permitted as payment I was told. She pointed me to the money exchange window that I remembered passing twenty minutes before. Luckily it was open even at 6am on a Sunday. I reached into my fund of US currency that I maintained for emergencies and found the sixty bucks I needed. 

Back to the payment window I walked. The lady smiled a smile of recognition. She took my pesos. 

This time the passport line had generously shrunk. In five minutes I was back to the same steward. “I’m sorry, you could have come right to me, you didn’t need to line up again,” he told me. I smiled ruefully. “That’s OK,” I replied. “I hope this won’t make you hate The Philippines, “ he said to my great surprise. “No, no, I LOVE The Philippines,” I verily shouted. 

Our flight took off on time for Taipei and we arrived right on time. 

The trip from the airport to my hostel was my first indication of the efficiency and modernity of Taiwan. A train station was a few yards from the airport door. For a modest sum I got to ride for about 40 minutes into the city. From there it was but a short walk to the Beimen WOW hostel. To my delight I got a bottom bunk on the 5th floor accessible by a first rate elevator. All was good. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day in Taiwan

Sloth

Impressions of the capital city